Are you protecting your staff from the hot summer weather?
Staff welfare is a hot topic when the weather warms up! It’s imortant that your staff are protected well when working outdoors, as the affects of the weather can have a serious impact on an employee’s health if the risks have not been considered or managed properly.
When working outdoors the weather can have influence an individual’s effectiveness and this is not readily managed using just engineering controls. In these circumstances some of the most effective ways of managing these environments are to introduce some simple administrative controls for example:
- reschedule work to cooler times of the day
- provide more frequent rest breaks and introduce shading to rest areas
- provide free access to cool drinking water
- introduce shading in areas where individuals are working
- encourage the removal of personal protective equipment when resting to help encourage heat loss
- educate workers about recognising the early symptoms of heat stress
Working in the sun…
Too much sunlight can be harmful to your skin and cause damage, including sunburn, blistering and skin ageing.
In the long term it can lead to an increased risk of skin cancer, which is one of the most common forms of cancer in the UK with over 50,000 new cases every year!